I love to teach artists!
I offer a variety of education opportunities for creatives covering both the creative and business side of art:
- Weekly painting classes that run for 6 weeks
- One-time workshops, typically over a weekend and last 1 - 3 days
- Private Mentoring Sessions
- Coming soon: Online Classes!
WEEKLY PAINTING CLASSES
I teach weekly painting classes for adults; usually in 6-week sessions. I currently have a class on Wednesdays from 1pm-4pm that is full, but am planning to add two new times soon. Please join my email list to be notified when new sessions are starting.
- taught in acrylics
- All painting styles from abstract/non-representational to realism/impressionism
- All levels from beginners to advanced
Classes are kept small, 3 - 6 students* so that each person gets plenty of individualized attention, and so the class can be customized as much as possible to meet all students’ needs. Due to Covid, classes are currently kept to just 3 students so that we can spread out.
My classes are appropriate for all levels, from absolute beginners to advanced artists. Regardless of your painting experience, you should be serious about learning, developing your own unique style, and/or enhancing your skills. This is an atelier-style program. I teach every style except for photo-realism.
The goal is to HAVE FUN!!, while learning LOTS!!
My classes focus on design fundamentals, with a special emphasis on values.
Classes will last 3 hours with a 5-10 minute break each hour, outside weather permitting, to get fresh air/a break from masks. My classes focus on design fundamentals, with a special emphasis on values. Within that focus, the class curriculum is customized based on the needs & requests of the individual students.
Each week, I will ask for questions and intentions on next painting(s). This will determine the curriculum for that week's lesson.
The class format is as follows:
1st 15 - 30 minutes:
next 30 - 60 minutes:
painting lesson and warm-up or practice exercises
remaining class time:
each student works on their individual painting project, while I observe and assist
In addition to 18 hours of in-person class time, the following resources are provided:
√ a private facebook group where you can post questions and/or paintings for response/critique by me and the rest of the students
√ periodic "homework", which may consist of practice exercises or instructional videos created by me
√ reviews of works via text, i.e. virtual coaching between classes
I will be teaching using acrylics. Advanced painters are welcome to paint in oil or watercolor, but please know that I am not an expert in either of those mediums.
Some examples of past lessons include:
- value sketches
- underpainting with three values
- simplifying landscape paintings
- rule of thirds for placement of focal area(s)
- color mixing
- setting up your palette
- using mediums
- painting non-representational abstracts
- brushstrokes and other painting tools
- how to varnish your paintings
Some Important Rules for my Classes:
- No copying other artist's paintings.
- Reference photos must be your own photos, or photos for which you have been given permission to use. (In other words, don't just get a photo from Pinterest, Google or a magazine.)
(If you would like more info on why I have these rules, please see my blog post: "Steal, don't copy.")
most sessions are 6 weeks: $295
*Schedule may vary for summer 2021
Please join my email list to be notified of upcoming workshops.
In contrast to weekly classes, 1-day and 2-day workshops provide the opportunity for students to do a "deep-dive" on a particular subject or theme. During my workshops, I will guide all students through a set curriculum that will include painting and/or design exercises, demos, and hands-on painting. Most students will complete 1 painting during the 1-day workshop, and 2 paintings during the 2-day workshops.
Possible topics for my workshops include:
- Designing the Landscape
- Non-representational Abstracts: Foundations and Lots of Techniques
- Representational Abstracts: Key ingredients
- Pet Portraits
- Abstract Cityscapes
- Photographing your Paintings and Editing in PhotoShop
- Technology for Painting, and other Resources
- Collage Basics
Feel free to email me your requests for workshop topics.
WANT Individual INSTRUCTION AND/OR MENTORING?
In addition to my small group painting classes, I offer private instruction as well for $45/hour. Private lessons can be held in my studio or yours. In addition to painting, I often help artists with other aspects of their creative ventures. Some examples include:
- setting up your workspace
- photographing your artwork
- creating or enhancing your website
- help with pricing and/or other business assistance
- developing your own style
- showing your work
If you would like more info on private lessons, please email me at JenniferDFerris@gmail.com.
Additional info can also be found here.
If you need to cancel your class or workshop registration, please do so at least 3 weeks prior to the start date. Within 2 weeks of the start of the class session or workshop, no refunds will be given unless you can find someone else to take your spot. Please keep in mind that once you register, I am holding that spot for you, so please don't ask to transfer your payment to another session or workshop if it is within two weeks of the start date.